Practicing good oral hygiene means maintaining your teeth by visiting our office on the maintenance schedule we establish for you and taking care of your teeth and gums between checkups. Our practice wants to make sure that you get the most out of your office visits, and that your teeth stay healthy for life! We'll work with you to provide complete periodontal care, and show you how to maintain your periodontal health at home with the right dental products for you.
Periodontal maintenance appointments, at the proper interval established for you, are an important part of maintaining your oral health. During your maintenance recall, your hygienist will:
- Update your health history and record blood pressure and pulse.
- Complete a thorough oral cancer exam
- Check for any problems that you may not see or feel.
- Look for decay or defective restorations.
- Inspect your teeth and gums for gingivitis and signs of periodontal disease.
- Probe all of your teeth to check for any changes in pocket depths which could signal periodontal breakdown.
- Provide a thorough scaling of the teeth with root planing where needed.
- Polish and floss the teeth.
Visiting the periodontist gives you the chance to talk with your hygienist and Dr. Crum regarding any questions you may have about your oral health. Checkups are also a great way for you to find out about new treatments that may benefit you.
Choosing the Right Toothpaste and Toothbrush
From toothpaste and mouthwash to toothbrushes and dental floss, it's important to choose the right products for each individual. We will spend time with you in brushing and flossing techniques and give you products to try. Keep in mind that when you're looking for a new toothpaste or toothbrush be sure to choose one that has been approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). We are happy to answer any questions you might have about various products on the market.