Paula S. Crum, DDS, MS
As a high school student, I had a wonderful young dentist who was a huge influence in my choosing a career in dentistry. I went to Marquette University to become a dental hygienist and loved working with patients so much that I decided to enter dental school, and ultimately, I became a periodontist. My greatest pleasure comes from providing patients who are fearful and anxious about treatment, with the therapy that they need in a compassionate and caring manner.
Patients are often pleasantly surprised at how comfortable periodontal treatment can be. Some of our most fearful patients have become our greatest ambassadors. It is very gratifying for me to bring a patient to such a level of comfort in our practice that they will refer family, friends, and co-workers.
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene – Marquette University
- Doctor of Dental Surgery – Marquette University School of Dentistry
- Certificate in Periodontics – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
- Master of Science Degree – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
Periodontal research is a dynamic entity that is continually influencing our treatment techniques and providing us with the scientific basis for the treatment we provide. There have been many treatment advances made during my years of practice, and attending my national, regional, and state periodontal meetings has provided me with the continuing education necessary to offer the most up-to-date treatment options for my patients.
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Midwest Society of Periodontists
- Wisconsin Society of Periodontists
- American Dental Association
- Wisconsin Dental Association - Currently President-Elect
- Brown-Door-Kewanee Dental Society
- Greater Green Bay Women’s Dental Society
- Titletown Affiliate of Seattle Study Club
- Fellow of Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists
- Fellow of the American College of Dentisits
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
- Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society of Jesuit Colleges and Universities
Outside the Office
I grew up in Plainfield, a small farming community in central Wisconsin, and I now reside in Ashwaubenon. It has been a dream come true to have my son Phillip join me in practice after completing his Periodontal Residency at LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans. My daughter Olivia, and her husband James, live in Indianapolis. Olivia is a Search Engine Optimization Manager with the Wiley Education Services marketing team. I am delighted that Olivia and James are going to make me a grandma in the next few months.
I am a huge fan of all our Wisconsin sports teams and my college teams, including the Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers, Milwaukee Bucks, Wisconsin Badgers, and Marquette, Butler, and North Carolina basketball. When I am at home, my TV will usually have a game on. I love attending live sporting events and theater productions, and I also enjoy traveling, singing, playing fantasy football and dining out with family and friends.
In the Community
I feel it is important to give back to the community through volunteerism. I am chairperson of the Silent Auction portion of our church picnic and a member of the Nativity Parish Adult Choir. I also serve as chairperson for the Ashwaubenon Education Foundation.
I have volunteered for many years doing Head Start dental exams for the Ashwaubenon School District and I also do dental screening exams for the NEW Dental Clinic for low income, uninsured individuals. I have been involved in several of Wisconsin’s Mission of Mercy events, providing dental treatment over a two-day period for hundreds of underserved individuals. All of these opportunities allow me to help make a difference in the lives of people who otherwise may not receive dental care. It is personally very rewarding to see the positive changes that we can make in the oral health of people in our state and local community.